Sunday, March 18, 2012

Save-on-Meats




On Friday, B and I were on our way to Tinseltown to watch a movie and decided to stop by and grab McDonalds for dinner (because I have been craving a filet-o-fish since what feels like forever), when we drove by Save-on-Meats. I actually didn't even notice the flashing neon sign with a giant pig on it, god knows why, until B muttered, "Oh, so that's where Save-on-Meats was". Upon those words, a flashback of reading 604Foodtography's post on Save-on-Meats popped into my head. So of course, we put the MickeyD plans aside. Sigh. The complications of wanting to eat everything and not having enough stomachs for it.

You are greeted first, not by the server, but by an old-school jukebox and a vintage candy machine; then comes the server telling you to write your name on the whiteboard. After a quick five minute-or-so wait, we were seated at the bar. Since Save-on was a last minute decision I didn't get a chance to scout the menu beforehand so I asked the server for a recommendation and boy, am I glad I did. I ordered the burger with a tossed salad and a root beer float and he got the clubhouse and slaw.

We had to wait a bit for our food, but it was a busy night. The burger is your standard burger; a nice thick and juicy patty, crispy bacon, lettuce, tomato and cheese.  It is definitely not the most delicious burger out there, but it is definitely better than any fast food chain because the patty didn't taste like it was flash frozen and then defrosted - in other words, it was fresh and had a home-made kind of feel. My salad was a little under dressed even for my tastes but better under than over, in my opinion. I didn't get a chance to try B's sandwich, but he commented that there was a tone of bacon in it (his favourite) and the chicken was quite juicy.


I probably wouldn't go out of my way to come to Save-On-Meats, but if I was in the area I would. I would definitely order the burger again because you really do get more than you paid for. Six dollars for a fresh, homemade tasting burger? That's about the same price as a big mac but better than a big mac. Also, our experience there was really enjoyable. The server was friendly, and since we were at the bar, we had a really nice conversation with our neighbors. Everyone was really laid back and friendly - most memorable would be a granny who was there enjoying a slice of cake. She even shared a bite of her vanilla butter cream cake with strawberry filling with B before she dug in her self! I find that experiences like that, are rare, and definitely made a difference in our dining experience.

Oh, and by the way, Kevin, if you are reading this - they got their liquor license.

Save On Meats on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment