Friday, May 25, 2012

Pho Xe Lua 24 Noodle House 金邊火車頭

After a long day of listening to lectures on the Anthropology of medicine, my body was crying out for some comfort food. It was a chilly, rainy day - the perfect day for a steaming bowl of Pho. Since B had to drive me home, I suggested to try out a new Pho restaurant that had opened up within walking distance from where I lived.

Pho Xe La 24 is on the same block as Cafe Gloucester - probably only a couple stores down. Once we were inside we heard Katy Perry's voice serenading the customers. Aside from that, it is quite nice and decorated differently from the typical Vietnamese restaurants you see in Vancouver. There was actually a piece of art hanging up that I really liked and might try to DIY. Anyway. Moving on. Food. Looking at the menu they have a lot of choices. I was really hungry so I ordered a House Special Pho noodle soup with the original Vietnamese Pho soup (you can pick the type of soup base). B ordered a House Special Vietnamese Sub. And we also grabbed a Shrimp Salad Roll to share. 

I really enjoyed my Pho. The soup was fragrant and flavorful without being too salty. I also like my soup to be more on the tart side, so I am glad when I asked for extra limes he gave me more than one. The meats were abundant and tender - which I really like. Most places I have been to have less than desirable cuts of meat that ends up being too tough and/or unappealing and unappetizing. B's sub was amazing. I have to be honest and say, I wanted to eat his share as well. The bread was toasted just enough so you get a nice crunch before sinking your teeth into a soft bun. The filling of Vietnamese hams, pate, pickled daikon and cucumber, and cilantro were flavorful and just delicious. That is all I can say. Our salad rolls came in an order of two and were pretty big, with thin, crystal clear rice wrappers which showed off the ingredients inside. 


Overall I enjoyed my dining experience at Pho Xe Lua 24 very much and would definitely visit again. I hope they will be open 24 hours soon so I can pop in for a midnight snack instead of heating up instant noodles. Ha!






Pho Xe Lua 24 Noodle House 金邊火車頭 on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. omgggosh i'm obsessed with bahn mi sandwiches!! i haven't had one since i moved from san francisco almost a year ago!!! ::WAH:: have to live variously through you!

    ReplyDelete